126.96.36.199.2 Assignment of Permanent Deacons
1. The diocesan bishop assigns permanent deacons based on the pastoral needs of the diocesan Church and their personal qualifications with due regard for their family and occupational responsibilities.
2. Any deacon requesting an assignment, including a transfer, should notify the Director of Deacons.
3. The director is to study the request by consulting the deacon and the pastor  or priest supervisor at the proposed place of assignment. He may obtain the opinion of the pastor or priest supervisor at the current assignment. If the deacon is married, the director must evaluate the possible effects that the assignment would have on married and family life.
4. When the study is completed, the director is to present his written opinion about the request to the diocesan bishop. He is also to indicate any changes in the faculties of the deacon that would be needed or useful.
5. If the diocesan bishop approves the assignment, the director is to assist the pastor or priest supervisor at the proposed assignment and the deacon to establish a new Ministry Agreement according to diocesan norms. He may assist to resolve any differences that arise in its preparation.
6. When the Ministry Agreement is completed, mutually approved and recommended by the director, then the pastor or priest supervisor of the proposed assignment may petition the diocesan bishop in writing for approval of the requested assignment. This is submitted to the diocesan bishop through the director of deacons along with his recommendation and the Ministry Agreement.
7. If the diocesan bishop approves the assignment, a letter of appointment is issued and a list of faculties attached to it. In the case of transfer, the obligations and faculties of the deacon in the prior assignment cease.
8. Until an assignment is announced publicly by the diocesan bishop, all parties are bound to confidentiality.
9. The assignment of newly ordained deacons is to be arranged according to this policy with suitable adjustments during formation by the Office of Deacons.
10. The assignment of extern deacons is to be arranged according to this policy with suitable adjustments by the Office of Deacons.
 cc. 519, 517 §2.