22.214.171.124.2 Church Employment of Deacons
1. Deacons are to provide for themselves and their families through their secular professions, unless otherwise specified in the Ministry Agreement. No salary, benefit, insurance or other financial consideration is provided by the diocese or any of its units unless explicitly approved by the diocesan bishop.
2. A deacon should not have an expectation of Church employment. Hiring of a deacon must be based on education and expertise appropriate to a given need at the place / parish.
3. Deacons seeking such employment must obtain the permission of the diocesan bishop through the Office of Deacons prior to seeking or accepting Church employment.
4. Such employed deacons are subject to diocesan personnel policies.
5. Deacons employed by the Church should make every effort to maintain a clear distinction between their employment and their ministry as a deacon.
6. “Permanent deacons in full-time employment by the diocese, parish, or agency are to receive remuneration commensurate with the salaries and benefits provided to the lay men and women on staff for that particular occupation.” 
 NDPD, n. 96 (1)