5.G.8 Recording and Reporting Marriage

1. When a marriage (including a so called “convalidation,” that is, a proper canonical celebration after a merely civil or non-Catholic marriage) is celebrated,

   a. these facts are to be recorded in the marriage register of the proper place: the names of the spouses, the date and place of the celebration, the name of the person who assisted (Catholic priest or deacon or non Catholic officiant) and the witnesses (two in the case of canonical form).

   b. these annotations are made in the notation portion of the register: any delegation given to the Catholic priest or deacon, any dispensation from canonical form given, [1] any dispensations from impediment and any permissions given, any protocol or reference numbers for the delegation, dispensations and permissions.

2. The pastor of the parish in which Catholic parties were baptized or received (or place of archives) is to be notified of these facts and annotations. [2]

3. When any marriage is celebrated in a parish church according to canonical form, the facts and annotations are recorded in its register of marriages as above. [3] The documents in number 5 below are to be maintained there.

4. When marriage is celebrated outside a parish church according to canonical form for some reason, it is to be recorded in the parish church of the territory in which it took place [and the chancery is to be notified]. The documents in number 5 below are to be maintained there.

5. If marriage is to be celebrated at a non-Catholic place of worship or other place with dispensation from canonical form, the priest or deacon who arranged for the dispensation must:

   a. notify the chancery when it is celebrated or of the fact that it was not celebrated, notify the parish of the Catholic party whose pastor (or another [4]) conducted the pre nuptial investigation as above, and see that the documents in number 5 below are provided to it.

   b. notify the parish of baptism or reception of the Catholic party (or place of archive) so that the facts and annotations above can be recorded in the register of baptism or reception. [5]

6. Pre-nuptial documents are to be preserved for 60 years.

7. Radical sanations (retroactive validations of an invalid marriage as treated in cc. 1161 and following) are recorded after obtaining a copy of the civil marriage license. The appropriate blanks in the marriage register are to be filled in. In the entry space for date of marriage, the notation “sanated” is to be put, and the protocol number of the rescript as well as the date of its issuance are to be included. Any other permissions and dispensations should be included in the notation.

8. Other situations not treated here are to be recorded according to the instruction of the chancellor or archivist and the rescript preserved in the supplemental files. [6]

[1] cc. 1121 §3

[2] c. 1122.

[3] c. 1121§1 and convalidations mentioned in c. 1123.

[4] c. 1070.

[5] This is a way of securing the notifications in c. 1121 §3

[6] c. 1121; c. 1122 §§1-2.

Date approved by Bishop

Posted by
Msgr. S. J. Raica, chancellor